Signs that it's Time to Limit or Stop Driving:
- Almost crashing, with frequent "close calls"
- Finding dents and scrapes on the car, on fences, mailboxes, garage doors, curbs, etc.
- Getting lost, especially in familiar locations
- Having trouble seeing or following traffic signals, road signs, and pavement markings
- Responding more slowly to unexpected situations, or having trouble moving their foot from the gas to the brake pedal; confusing the two pedals
- Misjudging gaps in traffic at intersections and on highway entrance and exit ramps
- Experiencing road rage or causing other drivers to honk or complain
- Easily becoming distracted or having difficulty concentrating while driving
- Having a hard time turning around to check the rear view while backing up or changing lanes
- Receiving multiple traffic tickets or "warnings" from law enforcement officers
- You are taking new medications with this warning "May Cause Dizziness. Do Not Drive Or Perform Other Potentially DANGEROUS Tasks Until You Know How This Medication Affects You."
Auto Insurance Discounts for Drivers 55 and older
Colorado Revised Statutes Title 10 Insurance § 10-4-632 requires that auto insurance companies in Colorado offer a reduction in rates for drivers aged fifty-five years or older who complete a driver's education course.
It may be worth the savings to take the driver's refresher course.
Refer to your Auto Insurance provider for a list of approved Driver's Safety Programs and the discount they offer.
IS IT TIME TO LEARN TO DRIVE A NEW CAR?
Persons 65 and older that currently drive a vehicle ten years or older may gain many safety benefits from investing in a new automobile with enhanced safety features. While safety features vary for each model new features are available to enhance safety for drivers, passengers, and others traveling on the roads.
Drivers 65 and older take longer to recover from injuries than others therefore for that reason alone if you are able to invest in a new car we believe you are worth that investment.
If you do not believe trading in your old car for a new one is in your budget then add this to the list of reasons it may be time to stop driving.
The amount of money you may save each month when you stop paying auto insurance and other costs may be helpful for your budget.
To calculate your saving or cost of a new vehicle we suggest the ECU Travel Calculator.
This web-site includes resources listed that are not affiliated with this project, provided only for help with planning an auto-free lifestyle or vacation for regional and state-wide travel utilizing public and nonprofit transit in Colorado. These organizations are not liable for information provided on this web-site. The Older and Wiser Project, along with Native American Broadcasting Company and our affiliates are not liable for any information or services provided by organizations not affiliated with this project or information listed on their web-sites.